Monday, September 9

When Strength Isn't Enough

I feel defeated by a lot of things right now. The last few weeks have overwhelmed me with life circumstances that I can neither control or fix. I feel inadequate most days to be the wife, mom, sister, daughter, and friend I should be. I fall short and often fail at what I think I should be doing.

But when I read the Word and soak in God's story, I see that no one was enough. Not one person (I mean person, not Christ) measured up to what God had planned for them. Nor did anyone in the Bible know how important they were regardless of their shortcomings or successes. We're just all human beings doing the best we can to pursue Christ and godliness.

Exposed beyond the shadows
You take the cup from me
Your dirt removes my blindness
Your pain becomes my peace 
                                     -Jars of Clay


I am frail. Nothing I do, say, or touch is stable. Because I am not stable. Not without Christ. I'm learning to place my hope and trust in Him, leaning into my weakness so it is exposed and God can work on me.

A lot of things in life terrify me right now. The road ahead looks scary and difficult. Finishing out this pregnancy, having three little ones under age two, grieving the hardest season of the year for us in October, and the many crazy days at our house to come... But I take comfort knowing my strength isn't enough. And thank the Lord! My strength would get me to about... this afternoon. Then it would fade and fail.

"Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life." -Psalm 143:8

No comments:

Post a Comment