Monday, August 8

The Must-Haves for the 1st Trimester

This second time around in pregnancy has already taught me a lot. In my first pregnancy, I would just sit in agony whenever I felt sick or tired. I never really knew what would help me.

This time I've been doing more research and trying to stay on top of that not-so-good feeling that this tiny baby gives me.

Here are some my tips:

1. Get enough sleep! There is nothing worse than a grumpy mama-to-be. Plus, if you get enough sleep you'll be one step ahead of the natural fatigue that will set in mid afternoon.

2. Munch all day long. Eat things that are actually good for you! Fruits, veggies, crackers, cheese, popcorn... anything that is light on the stomach but still has nutritional value. One of my favorite snacks is a Luna bar! They are specifically designed for women and has a lot of vitamins that give you energy.

3. Seek out extra time with God. One of the most daunting things in pregnancy is confusion. God is NOT a god of confusion, which is why it is so important to carve out time to seek truth from the one person that can cut through it all and get straight to the heart.

4. Spend as much time as you can with your husband. Believe it or not, he wants to be a part of the pregnancy too! The closeness you experience with your spouse is one you cannot duplicate.

5. Keep going! It's good to take a rest from time to time during the day, but just sitting around will only cause you to think about your tiredness and nausea more. Having a good and balanced schedule can keep you on track :)

6. Finding time to relax. Take a bath, light candles, put on your favorite music, take a drive, cook your favorite meal. Do whatever it takes to de-stress and allow yourself to truly relax and be calm. Peace can cure your soul.

7. Keep snacks in your purse! I have taken advantage of this tip and it has really turned my days around. When I'm waiting on a table at a restaurant when I feel like I am dying of hunger, that little snack has gotten me through!

8. Take the time to read pregnancy books and dream about your baby. This is a particularly hard area for me in this pregnancy, but it is so important. It's hard for me to dream and desire this child, not knowing if I will lose another. It brings back memories and pain, but ultimately, I get to dream about this new baby. And this child deserves my dreams and wishes and aspirations. Dreaming leads to believing.

It's been a really good week. Ben has been working nonstop and will continue this through the next week, but the time we do have together we have been very intentional.

We had so much fun telling our families about the baby in special ways that surprised them! We even got some of them on videotape :) These are the kind of moments I will remember forever!

Have a great week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment